Xiaomi Vows to be Full-Stack Style EV Maker, Denying Plan to Work with Auto Peers

Xiaomi said it from the very beginning has determined to build the car entirely with its own capital and bear all the risks. It had input more than RMB10 billion in R&D and over 3,000 engineers are working for its EV.

BEIJING, January 10 (TMTPost)—Xiaomi Corporation vowed to be a full-stack style electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer as the Chinese leading smartphone maker is entering final countdown of first EV launch.

Credit:Xiaomi

Credit:Xiaomi

Xiaomi said it doesn’t have any to to work with third party automobile companies to launch EVs, signaling it will not follow the collaborative way of Huawei. Backing the collaboration auto brand, Huawei usually participates in auto definition, design, marketing, user experience, quality control and provides intelligent vehicle software and hardware for traditional automobile manufacturers. Xiaomi, instead, from the very beginning has determined to conduct a full-stack development spanning design, research and development (R&D) and manufacturing, build the car entirely with its own capital and bear all the risks, according to a post to answer frequently asked questions released at Chinese microblogging social media Weibo on Tuesday. "This is not just Xiaomi's determination to all in automaking, but more importantly, a belief that only by fully investing in building cars and controling the entire stack, can we manage every aspect of the vehicle quality and user experience very well," the company said in the post.

In an interview with China Central Television (CCTV) last month, Xiaomi’s founder and CEO Lei Jun said his company has input out-sized resources in its first EV model, ten times of that traditional automakers invest in a model. “We invested in 3,400 engineers and the research and development (R&D) spending totaled more than RMB10 billion, ” Lei said.In another Q&A post released on Wednesday, Xiaomi echoed Lei’s remark, stating it has huge investment including more than RMB10 billion of R&D expenses and over 3,000 excellent engineers are working for its EV business.

According to the post, Xiaomi now focuses on its first model SU7, so it doesn’t plan to roll out another model like SU5. It ruled out Range-Extended Electric Vehicle (REEV), at least in the near term. The Chinese tech heavyweight said it will not unveil any REEV in the coming years. A REEV is an EV that runs on electricity but includes an auxiliary power unit known as a range extender. The range extender drives an electric generator which charges a battery that supplies the vehicle’s electric motor rather than driving the wheels. This allows for an increased range from the vehicle.

At an event on December 28, Xiaomi unveiled technologies that empower SU7 and its specs, but not disclosed  launch timetable or price tag. Lei Jun reiterated Xiaomi wants to become the top five automobile club in the world in the next 15 to 20 years. He said it’s impossible to set a price of RMB99,000 or RMB149,000, and noted vehicles powered by batteries with the same specs as SU7 are sold for more than RMB400,000 at average.  “Let’s show respect for the underlying technology ,” Lei said. In a post on X prior to the event, Lei said SU7 is in trial production and it will hit the domestic market in a few months. “The price has not been finalized yet, but we promise it will exceed your expectations,” according to Lei.

In the post on Monday, Xiaomi denies any possibility of low-cost EV version as an effort to lower the starting price. The Chinese smartphone leader confirmed it doens’t plan to launch vehicles under Redmi, its sub-brand with entry-level and mid-range priced smartphones. “There is not any such plan as we currently still focus on creating the entire production and sales chain of our first car-- Xiaomi SU7 very well,” Xiaomi said in the post.

As to the pricing range of SU7, XIaomi said it did have not make final decision and cited its founder and CEO Lei Jun’s saying that the model will cost high but the price is “reasonable”.  Lei earlier this month suggested SU7 could be priced at up to RMB500,000, or more than US$70,000. Is there any competitor for SU7 among EVs with prices under RMB500,000? Lei responded to a netizen’s question about the selling price as part of comments of his post. The Monday’s post noted Lei’s remark is serious and Xiaomi feels very confident that SU7 is incomparable in the price segment below RMB500,000.

U.S. semiconductor giant Nvidia announced on Monday that Chinese EV makers chose Nvidia Drive for automated driving, and among them, Great Wall Motor, Zeekr and Xiaomi have adopted the NVIDIA DRIVE Orin platform to power their intelligent automated-driving systems. SU7 is built on a dual DRIVE Orin configuration for highway driving functions and will be officially launched in the first half of 2024, Nvidia said.

Lei Jun said,at the event about SU7 technologies, the investment in the first phase for Xiaomi’s full-stack intelligent driving technology totaled RMB3.8 billion, and the company has  invested RMB4.7 billion more in the technology. Xiaomi aims to complete autonomous driving tests in 100 cities across China by the end of 2024, and become the leading player in the autonomous driving sector in the same one-year period.

本文系作者 Li_Dan 授权钛媒体发表,并经钛媒体编辑,转载请注明出处、作者和本文链接
本内容来源于钛媒体钛度号,文章内容仅供参考、交流、学习,不构成投资建议。
想和千万钛媒体用户分享你的新奇观点和发现,点击这里投稿 。创业或融资寻求报道,点击这里

敬原创,有钛度,得赞赏

赞赏支持
发表评论
0 / 300

根据《网络安全法》实名制要求,请绑定手机号后发表评论

登录后输入评论内容

快报

更多

22:33

伊朗说伊美正处于谅解备忘录最终敲定阶段

22:32

国家数据局:将把推动词元经济发展纳入工作体系

22:31

沙特媒体:伊朗欲以开放霍尔木兹海峡换美国赔偿

22:30

美国务卿称美伊谈判取得“些许进展”

21:53

卡塔尔埃米尔与特朗普通话,强调维护海上安全

21:51

伊朗外交部:霍尔木兹海峡是沿岸国家内部事务,与美国无关

21:31

美军称对伊朗的海上封锁已使百余艘商船改变航向

21:01

媒体称特朗普愿给美伊谈判“更多时间”

20:32

长桥证券:积极响应两地监管指引,将稳步推进合规工作

20:32

法国禁止以色列国家安全部长入境

20:07

5月23日新闻联播速览25条

20:04

张国清赶赴山西长治市沁源县煤矿瓦斯爆炸事故现场指导应急处置工作时强调 全力科学搜救 依法严肃追责 坚决惩处安全生产违法违规行为

20:04

何立峰出席亚太经合组织第三十二届贸易部长会议并致辞

19:56

泽连斯基签署法令制裁俄“影子舰队”及多个个人和实体

19:51

国产自研600公斤推力级涡扇发动机首飞成功

19:34

闻泰科技声明:安世荷兰声称公司回避与其沟通完全与事实不符

19:25

伊朗议会议长:伊武装部队在停火期间进行了重组与重整

19:23

美伊谈判进展甚微,美国务卿促欧洲盟友参与“B计划”

19:10

电影《穿普拉达的女王2》总票房破亿

18:58

针对山西通洲集团留神峪煤矿瓦斯爆炸事故,国务院事故调查组将较真碰硬开展事故调查

扫描下载App